Four key studios in Walthamstow are the linchpin of England's silent film heritage
The Cunard Film Company Limited moved into their purpose-built studio at 245 Wood Street in October 1914.
The studio had a 115 foot by 45 foot glass roofed daylight stage with extra lighting from 30 Westminster arc lamps.
Broadwest finally went into receivership in 1921 and although other smaller companies took possession of the building at various stages The building itself was demolished sometime before the 1950's.
I.B. Davidson converted an old horse tram shed at 588 Lea Bridge Road. Davidson’s studio was a "dark stage" studio making it unique in the area in that they used artificial lighting exclusively.
Two of their original stars were the legendary “Bombadier” Billy Wells and Victor McLaglen. McLaglen got his start in film acting appearing in The Gay Corinthian after being persuaded by producer A E Colby to give up boxing as a profession. Like B&C they fell victim to Black November and by the end of 1924 were out of business.
BRITISH & COLONIAL
The already established British and Colonial Kinematograph Company, who by 1914 were one of the top six film companies in Britain. They moved into what was a former roller skating rink at 317-319 Hoe Street (now a BT Exchange).
In the summer of 1913 they made what is considered the first ever British epic The Battle of Waterloo shooting some scenes on Whipps Cross
Early in 1910 the Gobbett brothers, who had formed The Precision Film Company in 1908 had a film studio built at 280 Wood Street, at the junction with Lea Bridge Road. This studio, The Precision Film Studio was the first purpose built film studio in Walthamstow. The two-story building overlooked Epping Forest which came right up to the East of Wood Street in those days.
Success of the studio was short-lived and by 1915 it closed (which may or may not have been connected to the untimely death of one of the brothers at the age of 34) and by 1919 it was operating as a tool factory. The building itself was finally demolished, probably in the 1950's and on it's site now stands Beuleigh Court.